NEW PALTZ – On Saturday, Feb. 17, Historic Huguenot Street (HHS) will host “Mapping the Patent,” a presentation of the first land survey of the New Paltz patent and its early divisions.
On May 26, 1677, 12 Huguenot refugees signed an agreement with sachems of the Esopus Munsee tribe for approximately 39,683 acres of land that would be called New Paltz. On Sept. 15, 1677, New York Governor Edmund Andros confirmed the purchase, and on Sept. 29, 1677, Governor Andros issued a patent for the land and made the tract an official township. For 340 years, the tract of land was never officially surveyed – until now.
Working with Carol Johnson and Margaret Stanne from the Haviland-Heidgard Historical Collection, SUNY New Paltz geography student Gregory Krupp has mapped the land of the original patent and its early divisions as they coincide with the modern landscape. Krupp was able to identify old boundary and plot lines by applying today’s technology to the information provided by old deeds, maps, town records, and stone walls, which still exist today.
On Saturday, Feb. 17, at 4 p.m., Krupp will present his new map to the public for the second time in Deyo Hall at 6 Broadhead Avenue (his first presentation took place at the Elting Memorial Library in November 2017). A Q&A portion will follow the presentation and light refreshments will be served.
Registration is available at huguenotstreet.org for $10 ($9 for seniors, members of the armed service, and Friends of Historic Huguenot Street).