POUGHKEEPSIE – Renovations have begun at the Department of Community and Family Services’ (DCFS) offices, located at 60 Market Street in the City of Poughkeepsie, to better serve residents.
Enhancements to the building, which are expected to be completed by early summer, will result in a more efficient and secure experience for clients, said Dutchess County Executive Marcus J. Molinaro on Monday, Jan. 8, 2018.
Beginning today, residents will notice a decrease in the size of the reception area at 60 Market Street, though the impact on the public is expected to be minimal. Residents are encouraged to utilize www.MyBenefits.ny.gov to perform many transactions, such as applying for Medicaid, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP).
They can also use the site to track their applications and view their case details. Those applying for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) can apply for benefits online but must come to a DCFS office in person for a face-to-face interview.
County Executive Molinaro said, “Our DCFS staff works tirelessly to best serve Dutchess County’s most vulnerable residents. The improvements will enhance the quality and speed of service for those who come to our main office at 60 Market Street, Poughkeepsie. We appreciate the public’s understanding and patience as we work to provide a better customer experience and more efficient service.”
Among the various enhancements that are planned:
- the reception area will be upgraded and include self-service kiosks for document drop-off and accessingwww.MyBenefits.ny.gov;
- the building’s original steps and historic YMCA facade will become the new main entrance into the reception area;
- the current screening room will be relocated, providing more privacy and security for clients;
- a new fair hearing room and waiting area will be constructed for clients and their representatives.
DCFS Commissioner Sabrina Jaar Marzouka said, “The enhancements to our Market Street offices will allow our staff to more efficiently engage with the clients we serve. We thank the public in advance for their cooperation, as we work to offer an exceptional experience when visiting DCFS.”
Other DCFS locations, which remain open as usual and can accept applications and documents regarding clients’ cases, are:
- the Eastern Dutchess County Government Center, located at 131 County House Road in Millbrook; residents can call (845) 677-5532 to make an appointment; and
- HEAP and SNAP applications are accepted at the Beacon Center, located at 233 Main Street in Beacon, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.; more information is available by calling (845) 838-4800.