WHITE PLAINS – In honor of those whose lives were lost or forever changed by the tragic events of Sept. 11, 2001, County Executive Robert P. Astorino will join with Volunteer New York! to host the “9/11 Day: Serve + Remember” volunteer opportunities taking place from Saturday, Sept. 9 through Mon. Sept.11, 2017.
The community-wide action event is supported by Robison Oil and Empire City Casino.
Service projects at the County Center will take place on Sept. 11 from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Westchester County’s formal 9/11 memorial ceremony at “The Rising” at Kensico Dam in Valhalla will begin at 7 p.m. on Mon. Sept. 11. As always, the public is invited to attend.
“On the 16th anniversary of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, we as a community continue to come together in remembrance and unity, proving that love and service will always prevail,” Astorino said. “Last year we had 1,368 volunteers put over 2,000 hours of service back into the community as part of 9/11 Day. This year offers so many great ways to volunteer, whether it’s giving blood, feeding the hungry, educating our children or thanking our veterans. I hope you’ll all join us in remembrance.”
The theme of this year’s 9/11 Day is “Service. Unity. Empathy.” Many volunteer opportunities are family friendly and all will help support one of 40 local non-profits and causes. All volunteers must register through www.volunteernewyork.org/service or call (914) 948-4452 for more information.
Westchester County will also host its annual employee blood drive in partnership with the New York Blood Center from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday, September 11, at the County Center. To sign up or learn more, please contact Janet Lokay at firstname.lastname@example.org or (914) 995-2127.
“Serving together on 9/11 Day is a way to honor the lives of those lost, while bringing our community closer through volunteerism. We encourage families, individuals and business groups to participate,” said Alisa H. Kesten, Executive Director of Volunteer New York!
The 9/11 Day Volunteer Opportunities at the Westchester County Center on Monday, Sept. 11, 2017:
- Donate Blood (for ages 16+) with New York Blood Center from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Create No-Sew Blankets for Children in Need (for ages 12+ / 8+ with adult) with Westchester-Rockland Project Linus – Multiple Time Slots Available
- Create Inspirational Notes & Cards for Deployed Service Members (great for all ages) with United for the Troops – Multiple Time Slots Available
- Create Tissue Paper Packs for Patients Battling Cancer (for ages 14+ / 7+ w/adult) with Gilda’s Club Westchester from Noon – 1 p.m.
- Create Literacy Tools for Youth (for ages 16+ / 11+ with adult) with Leake & Watts Service – Multiple Time Slots Available
- Donate New or Lightly Used Children’s Books (all ages) with JCY-WCP from Noon – 5:30 p.m.
- Donate Items For Deployed Soldiers Care Packages (all ages) with United For The Troops from Noon – 5:30 p.m.
- Donate Diapers & Wipes For Families In Need (for ages 18+) with Junior League of Central Westchester & Westchester County Diaper Bank from Noon – 5:30 p.m.
- Create Literacy & Math Kits for Elementary Children (for ages 16+ / 12+ w/adult) with Elmsford Union Free School District from 2 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Create Laundry Sachets for Formerly Homeless Women in White Plains (for ages 14+/ 10+ with adult)
with YWCA White Plains & Central Westchester from 2 – 3:30 p.m.
- Create No Sew Super Hero & Princess Capes (for ages 15+ / 10+ with adult) with WestCOP Community Action Program from 2 – 3 p.m.
- Learn the Life Saving Technique of Hands Only CPR (for ages 12+ / 8+ with adult) with American Heart Association – Multiple Time Slots Available
- Collect and Package Diapers for Families in Need (for ages 16+ / 6+ with adult) with Junior League of Central Westchester from 4 – 5:30 p.m.
- Create Sandwiches for Westchester’s Hungry (for ages 14+ / 10+ with adult) with One Sandwich At a Time from 4 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.
For the complete list of 9/11 Day service projects taking place outside of the County Center, which are scheduled from Sat. Sept. 9 – Sun. Sept. 11, 2017, please visit www.volunteernewyork.org/service.