Kathy Welsh

Kathy Welsh

MILLERTON – A teen is lucky to be alive after attempting to copy a dangerous online stunt Thursday in Millerton.

Authorities said about 4:30 p.m. fire, rescue and New York State Police responded to a structure fire reported on South Center Street in the Village of Millerton.

An investigation determined that a 15-year-old juvenile had attempted to copy a dangerous online stunt by dousing his finger in rubbing alcohol and then setting it on fire while standing at the kitchen sink.

As the juvenile panicked, he inadvertently transferred the fire to the rubbing alcohol bottle which exploded.  The explosion caused his shirt and the kitchen curtains to catch fire, authorities said.

He then ran to a nearby business where a Good Samaritan from the business was able to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher.

The teen was transported by ambulance to Sharon Hospital with burns to his upper torso.

He was later transported to Westchester Medical Center for further medical treatment.

The case remains under investigation.

The State Police would like to warn parents about this dangerous stunt involving accelerants.

Millerton Fire Department and EMS responded to the scene.

0
Comments

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    © 2017 Hudson Valley News Network
    Always Local, Always Free.